Registering an engined changed Landrover

for zoze who'd like to spik angliche...

Modérateur : Modérateurs

Répondre
RustyNissanPrairie
met la clef de contact...

Registering an engined changed Landrover

Message par RustyNissanPrairie »

Appologies for asking the question regarding a Defender rather than a Series but Im struggling to find a general French Landrover forum with an English section-unless anyone can point me in the right direction?

Anyway Im looking to move to France with my 110 within the next year, at the moment the factory fitted 2.5NA requires a rebuild which Im happy to do but it seems a bit pointless to spend all that money and still end up with 67bhp. If I was staying in the UK I'd stick an ex-Disco tdi in it like everyone else does.

Is it possible to register in France then with a re-engined Defender? the CC of the 2.5NA and TDi engines are the same at 2495 but obviously the engine number and horsepower would be different.

Does the certificate of conformity state exactly what engine it is?

Landrover offered a factory supplied/dealer fitted engine upgrade from a 2.5NA or TD to a 200TDi-how would this fair with a certificate of conformity?

Thanks in advance.
101TUG
'Louis la brocante...'

Re: Registering an engined changed Landrover

Message par 101TUG »

In France that not so easy to do that, authority don't like somebody modifier vehicle...
Land Rover France are not so cooperative to send you any certificate or conformity if you put any other engine of original build!

But I don't tell you it's impossible you can try but you never know where you go!

Hugues :hello:
vivement les vacances...en Series bien sur!
francol
va peut être gagner un rang 'spécial'...

Message par francol »

If your V5 is consistent with your car details, you should not have problems to swap it for a French 'grey card' when you settle here for good and apply for a French registration; should you have, you will need to keep your English V5 and registration : you will probably not be road-legal any longer in UK as your British MoT will be out of date, but on the other hand, no French policeman will fine you for not undergoing the French equivalent ('contôle technique')...
Les biocarburants sont un crime contre l'humanité (Jean Ziegler)
L'Eglise a ses Pères Blancs, l'écologie ses pervers (francol)
RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks for the replies

The V5 would be updated to show any new engine numbers-my paperwork would be in order for the UK-but what about obtaining a certficate of conformity from Landrover France in order to register it?
I presume they will want my VIN and engine numbers and at this point the two wont tally up when they pull the records out of the Landrover database for my build.

My VIN number is for a 110 built in 1991, my new 200tdi engine number would start 11Lxxxxxx rather than the 12Jxxxxxx it would have been with the 2.5NA

Dont really want to spend £2000 on a 2.5NA engine rebuild if I can legally fit a 200tdi, but dont want to goto the hassle and expense of fitting a 200tdi and not being able to register it!
francol

Message par francol »

Nope, you won't get a 'certificate of conformity' from LR France as your modified vehicle has never been imported here by them (even if you kept the original engine, as they have never imported a RHD vehicle here); besides, I would first check with my insurer about driving here under either new French or original British plates and living permanently in France
francol

Message par francol »

Also, European Union has stated that any vehicle already registered within the EU, which has a legal status within its original country (which should be the case in UK for your motor, even after the engine swap) can be re-registered within another country : so, you do not need any prior approval from LR France (and you won't get any as a matter of fact)
francol

Message par francol »

But you will have to undergo a French MoT ('contrôle technique'), British one being void here
TNK
plus sur le net que sous le Land...

Message par TNK »

In my (humble) opinion, you will obtain a conformity certificate from Land Rover France if the engine fitted is the standard model (2,5 l n/a), whatever the driver's side.

If the engine doesn't match with the serial number, you will have to complete required file ("RTI=réception à titre isolé") and proceed a car inspection by the administration (DRIRE), I think it's quite similar to a SVA (single vehicle approval) test. In theory, French administration is suposed to ease registration of cars coming from a UE member state... but it's only theory... In this case, Land Rover France can provide you with a "certificate of partial conformity", and the procedure would concern only the unconform points.
"Et si tout n’était qu’illusion et que rien n’existait ? Dans ce cas, j’aurais vraiment payé ma Land Rover beaucoup trop cher."
RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks for the replies.

Somebody on another forum posted a link to this;
http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum ... nge+engine

the bottom reply gives more info.

I think my first port of call is try and contact LR UK and try and obtain further info regarding the offial 200tdi upgrade, details here;
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/defender-diesel- ... ns-stc939d

My Defender is a 1991 year which was available with the 200tdi as standard or the 2.5NA as an option, everything is the same apart from the engines and cooling system.
Répondre